SE .gxy file parser

Stellar Emperor Alpha testing. Builds may have a short period of working operation. Gameplay operations may change drastically from day to day. Feel free to join in the testing.
Cossid
Site Admin

SE .gxy file parser

Post by Cossid »

About a month ago I wanted to look and see if I could figure some things out about galaxy stats generation, and was unhappy with the results I was getting from survey.exe included with SE 1.02 (and it only runs on Win9x). So I took the time to see what I could find out about the gxy file format.

I was looking to get two extra things out of the file survey.exe was not giving me:
1) exportable star intensity informtion
2) exportable planet type information

The first one turned out just fine. However, the second did not turn out as well, as I found planet type is based completely off of planet stats, and I don't know what the specific ranges are yet. I did take the time to jot down min/max ranges for most stats and planet types, but it only gives guesses or narrow downs.

After I had completed a mirror of what what survey was doing and adding a couple things I kept wondering about all the "junk" data that was left over. Turns out it was the atmosphere information for each planet.

After all is said and done I've learned the following things:
1) Planet type is based completely of specific stats, some still undetermined.
2) MinTemp, MaxTemp, and DayLength in survey (and my parser) are incorrect. Temp doesn't account for negative temperatures, so there is an offset somewhere, just need to figure out what it is. I'm assuming DayL is a percentage of Earth's 24 hrs, but am still unsure.
3) Planet year information isn't in the gxy file, meaning it is probably based off of the still somewhat unknown DayLength and likely orbit.
4) Atmospheres don't always seem to add up to 100% (they often go over or fall short), no idea why.
5) There is still one piece of dummy information I haven't figured out yet, that I'm calling "StarPre". It is transmitted in the star information, not planet information, and seems completely random.

So if anybody would like to play around with this for any reason, I'm attaching it along with a few partial and full GXY files. Any feedback of any futher learnings would be appreciated.

This requires the .NET 2.0 framework, please let me know if you have any issues running it.
Attachments
gxy_parser.zip
(2.68 MiB) Downloaded 416 times
--Cossid AKA Caleb