Installer Issues - Alternate Download

Stellar Emperor Beta testing. Builds may have a short period of working operation. Gameplay should be mostly stable, but is subject to bug fixes and rebalancing.
Cossid
Site Admin

Installer Issues - Alternate Download

Post by Cossid »

If you are having issues using the installer or the auto-updated, please post here, with details of the errors if possible.

I will try to maintain an alternative download here for those that do have such issues.

The current alternate client download is available at:
[Removed] - The installer has been changed to one that should not be as error prone.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Yoda
Cadet

Re: Installer Issues

Post by Yoda »

Dear Caleb,
Again had issues, but muddled through them based on the last recommendations you passed to me through Hetulik for the SE 7.0.7 update, which was the first update this war I ever had any issues with. Appreciate the alternate download in the forums - will look there first in the future. Thanks. - Yoda
Yoda
Cadet

Post by Yoda »

Dear Caleb,
Had usual issue with update on newer Core i3 Windows 7 computer - of course, noticed it at 9:28 PM Eastern time - in my near panic to join the scouting, forgot you were posting update to forums, so puzzled through the information from the error message to get the .9 release #, then downloaded it somehow (I am like a Trobriand Islander with computers), and changed my SE shortcut to reflect .9 release. And, joined the game; only took me 20 minutes or so. No big deal. (still have decent planets; Het advised me of a couple of them). Also, as usual, the old backup Pentium M Windows XP laptop updated like a charm with no issues this morning.
Question: Can the old SE downloads(7,8) be deleted?
Yoda
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Yes, you can safely delete 0.7.0.8 if you extracted 0.7.0.9 to a different directory.

Can you please post the full error/errors you are getting with the installer here?
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Yoda
Cadet

Post by Yoda »

Greetings, Caleb,

Had issues with update; as we discussed, attempted to carefully note sequence of events, as follows:

1) Click my desktop shortcut to SE
2) Usual "Open File - Security Warning"
3) Shortcut is directing me to C:Users\Owner\Downloads\SE_0.7.0.9\StellarEmperor.exe
4) Click on "run" in Warning
5) Password requested - entered password
6) "Welcome to SE" screen appears under pop-up "Upgrade Available"
7) Pop-up says See http:alpha.StellarEmperor.comAbout/GettingStarted#Download for new....
-if I try to bypass and enter galaxy, Upgrade Available pop-up flashes angrily at me.
-if I click on the line, it haughtily advises me "This Page Can't Be Displayed"
-if I click okay - simply disappears
8) So I attempted to enter the pop-up address - didn't work as it stood, or with a "." after "com". After I put a "/" between "com" & "About" in the above line, it took me to "Downloading the Client" in the SE site.
9) So I clicked on the link displayed (http://alpha.SE.com/SEClient/SE.exe) (SE spelled out, of course)
10) Selected "Save", then view download SE(5)exe, then "run"
11) Pop-up appears "Cannot Start Application" "Click HERE to send error to the deployment server and check for known solutions to this... Also options for "Okay" and "Details"
12) When I click HERE it goes to SE Alpha Welcome Page, to no avail.
13) When I click "Okay" Pop-up completely disappears.
14) When I click "Details" I get the following:

(EDIT 5/17/13: DELETED LENGTHY DETAILS TO REMOVE UNNEED DATA CLOGGING UP FORUMS -YODA)

15) Throw up my hands in anguish and despair, and use convenient link in your previous post - still need to unzip that, and alter my shortcut to reflect version 10, but not that big a deal. Again, the old backup laptop updated with no problem at all.
Help me, Obi-Wan...er... Caleb, You're my only hope!
Last edited by Yoda on Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

I clearly had the link wrong (missing the / in the url) for the manual upgrade url, that will be fixed moving forward.

Two things to try.

First, redownload http://alpha.stellaremperor.com/Stellar ... mperor.exe and try running it again. I have changed some of the code signing, and I'm not sure if it will make any difference or not.

Second, if that did not work, please try running the following command (WINKEY + R):

Code: Select all

rundll32 %windir%\system32\dfshim.dll CleanOnlineAppCache
and then run the installer from the first step once more.

Please let me know how it goes!
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Yoda
Cadet

Re: Installer Issues - Alternate Download

Post by Yoda »

Dear Caleb,

As info - since update 0.7.0.11, the updates have been successfully implemented on my computer with no issues. Can't explain why - very happy about it - believe I will simply attribute it to one of those mysteries of life. Thanks, Yoda
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Excellent. I made some changes to the version enforcement, perhaps that is what is doing it.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Yoda
Cadet

Post by Yoda »

Dear Caleb,
As info- was unable to enter SE this AM about 10:30 Eastern - short on time then so just did PM through website - (no issue there at all). Attempted to enter again about now 1:00 PM - Am able to sign in, see who is online, and enter galaxy, but when clicking on "Alpha War 2" am immediately "disconnected from host", and, after closing that message, return to the Username/password screen. Same situation on backup computer. Thanks, Yoda
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

I am seeing the same issue, looking into it.
Edit: I have resolved the issue by restarting the flight service, still looking into the cause.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
setalon
Cadet

Post by setalon »

I tried clicking the link for the current download it says resource not found.... is there another link for the Zip file?
I,ll be on Friday for reset since the war I was leading in MW$ ended kinda early witha surrender from the enemy:)
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Sorry, I updated the update post, but not the original post. It is updated now.

There will probably be one more update before the next war begins, I'll be sure to keep the link updated.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
setalon
Cadet

Post by setalon »

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /StellarEmperorClient/SE_0.8.5.1.zip

I cant get the client on my home computer see above error...so no access except for pm..
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

setalon wrote:Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /StellarEmperorClient/SE_0.8.5.1.zip

I cant get the client on my home computer see above error...so no access except for pm..
Sorry, forgot to update the link for beta, the first post now has the correct link once more.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Original post updated for version 0.8.6.1
--Cossid AKA Caleb