Welcome.

Cossid
Site Admin

Welcome.

Post by Cossid »

Hello and welcome to the latest attempt at a community build-up. This forum is focused at re-building the Stellar Emperor / Mega Wars III / SEMW3 community to move onward to the future. But first, an explanation:

Who are you?
My name is William Weilep, I live in Wisconsin (USA), and I was a SE player on Aries (Kesmai) from sometime around 1997 through its close on Gamestorm in 1999-2000. I was best known under the moniker "Caleb".

What happened to SEMW3?
This is a continuation of it. Many details need to be worked out between myself, the former (read: original, not necessarily no-longer-present) SEMW3 team, and the community.

What is Space-Game?
It is a starting block in an attempt to pick up where SEMW3 left off. I have received parts of the SEMW3 code base from Ken "Kon" Gabe, and am slowly working on making it a working entity once again. More on this as development progresses.

Why the possibly new name?
SEMW3 was a project to rebuild and improve upon all the previous games that influence it. Space-Game, at this point may or may not follow that. It may branch into separate projects. So since the future is still uncertain, I have labeled it with a temporary name of Space-Game, the name my father always referred to Stellar Emperor as.

Where do we go from here?
We rebuild from what we have, work together to make what we want, and hopefully all will take form from there.

But all past efforts only had a presence of a few months to a year at best, how will this be different?
Unlike previous projects, my main focus at the moment is to rebuild a community, not a game. The game will come, but we need community support to make anything of it. Not to insult previous projects and their teams, but I feel I have a much better record of community upkeep, or at the very least of backing up the web presence of what the community builds.

So from here, I'd like to say welcome to the community, let's start rebuilding. We've got a lot of work to do.

--Caleb

Edit:
Update February 2012
It has been some time since I started this forum promises of progress. Granted it has been slow, there has indeed been progress. Please see this thread for the current status of the project.

Edit 2:
Update April 2013
Alpha testing has begun. You can register here and download the client here. Please join in providing feedback in the Alpha Feedback Forum
--Cossid AKA Caleb
sross
Cadet

Re: Welcome.

Post by sross »

Well, I am happy to see some talk about SEMW3 and moving forward. I know Kon had a website up called Stellar Accession earlier in the year, but it seems to be gone now.

Anyway, I'll re-introduce myself - WaLL from SE. I still feel SE/MW3 was one of the best games every developed, and unfortunately haven't found a game that has filled the void.

I am now a developer, thus I'd be very interested in joining a group that wants to revive this and assist in any way necessary. I have .Net, JEE, Oracle, Sql Server, PostGreSql. I have done some python and ruby. Would love to code a multiplayer game and feel I have some to offer.

Anyway, kudos has to go to Caleb for keeping some interest and discussion alive.

Scott
WaLL
setalon
Cadet

Post by setalon »

Talon alive as well, I will be glad to help as well.... currently play WOW but always interested in many of our first loves SE/MWIII, any help I can give I will including $$$ support when needed. Talon
Tafoid
Cadet

Post by Tafoid »

Checking in..
It would appear I'm late to this party by a few hours - bummer.
I look forward to any progress and you can count me helping in any testing or related duties as they happen.

Hail Caleb!
Hail Talon!
Hail Wall!

-Tafoid
beaker
Cadet

Post by beaker »

ACK! ok ok i made it here, atlast, beaker still around and kicking last i looked
always looking for anything new here
setalon
Cadet

Post by setalon »

I think some Mankind players were former SE, I'll Mail Dog and let him know.. he can contact some of those...I think Arch had a site up a while ago...mega Empires? I sure he would be interested along with Klunker and others..
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Welcome aboard guys, no worries about being late to the party, this is still pretty early and well received for the community size...

Yeah, Arch had a site which appeared to quickly go offline, and his email bounced as well, but still hope to see him here none-the-less.

Looking forward to getting things moving, as well as discussing development a bit more (when I'm in better condition to do so), but have to run for now, but I'll be back soon...
--Cossid AKA Caleb
BotanyBay

Post by BotanyBay »

Hi Guys,

Botany Bay here. Glad to see y'all are still around. :D
Shadowfall

Post by Shadowfall »

Shadowfall checking in....... Ahhhh SE.. the game that started a addiction for online games :shock: I still talk to a few of me old SE crew. Ill try to get hold of them asap and get them to post :D
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Great to see so many familiar names! (event if mine has changed). I'm still scouring through places and files looking to contact former players, so please keep inviting everybody you're still in contact with.

Also feel free to make suggestions on what you guys need from this site. I'm working on collecting and organizing some SE stuff from my archives, if any of you want to dig any of yours out, feel free to contact me, I'll be getting some content up shortly on the website.

And just for the record, stellaremperor.com and semw3.com now both forward here, so hopefully that help people find this place. I think I may put up legacy information on the stellaremperor.com domain, and new project stuff on this, the space-game domain.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
shan

Post by shan »

Hi.

I'm probably not familiar to any of you, as I played SE in it's original incarnation on GEnie, GUN/1061. I flew with the JYD--Telk, Lady, RWB et al. I lost interest when Kesmai took huller building out of the hands of players and went to play MW3 in its latter years.

I look forward to rebuilding the game and helping any way I can.

-Shan
EndersGame

Post by EndersGame »

Hello Ender here... some may know me some may not. I too agree that Stellar Emperor was a game that had a niche. Look at the success of ogame and other browser based games, and Stellar Emperor blows that away. So I do believe a community at least a profitable game is possible.

Like Wall apparently I too am a developer, I work for the company called CCP, they make the game called EVE ONLINE, quite a few mk players play EVE Online and are in corporations such as "eye of god" etc...

I can throw in support in the form of C++, or python scripting, t-sql,mssql. Python is a pretty powerfull language and can easily support what Stellar Emperor was and more.
setalon
Cadet

Post by setalon »

hard to believe so many of us 30 years later still love one of our first online games we ever played, but it was a classic and if there's anyway to bring in back I'm all for it and will support $$$ wise once needed. My Brother Dakota will pitch in as well, he flew with me in SE on Gamestorm. Talon
Yeti Elder

Post by Yeti Elder »

Well for some of us its only 10 years, but we get your point. You're old, but hell we all are now.

Good to see you all again. Let me know if you need any planets to take over.

P.S. Yeti Child, if you couldn't make the jump.
Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Renegade Ship# 4485, Megawars III from Compuserve from I dont even remember how long ago!

Count me in.