Help me remember...

Cossid
Site Admin

Help me remember...

Post by Cossid »

I'll randomly be posting questions to things related to SE that my memory is fading on, so if you know any of the answers to these questions, please post what you do know :)

My question about v1.0+ SE Galaxy names still stands in my other thread.

Additional questions;

Missles: could not be launched when orbiting a planet, correct?

Targeting System: loc command was a server registering value, therefor took one command queue, correct? Did missles and probes required an extra lock (and was it the same in starspace as it was in hyperspace), and how were they distinguished via the loc command?

What velocity did missiles and probes travel at in hyperspace?

Tra: Was the Tansfer factor based on percentage of ship capacity, or otherwise? IE: was a BS w/ 1000 figs and BC w/ 400 figs (and both ships having applicable troop levels) a Transfer factor of 2.0 or 1.4?
--Cossid AKA Caleb
beaker
Cadet

Re: Help me remember...

Post by beaker »

I do remember missles could not be launched while orbiting a planet, and if memory serves me right I think someone was talking about probes traveling at warp18(I think it may have been funky?) and I would guess missles are same speed.
Cain
Cadet

Post by Cain »

Missles only launched in Hyperspace same with Torps,
LOCk was to lock on lasers in normal.
Lord Cain on Megawars and GEnie Steller Emperor
Four Time Viceroy of the Galaxy
Tafoid
Cadet

Post by Tafoid »

Willis wrote:I'll randomly be posting questions to things related to SE that my memory is fading on, so if you know any of the answers to these questions, please post what you do know :)

My question about v1.0+ SE Galaxy names still stands in my other thread.

Additional questions;

Missles: could not be launched when orbiting a planet, correct?
I think you could send missiles when in normal space to other target also in normal space and it would follow them out to hyperspace. You could not fire from orbit. You were not supposed to be able to fire at people in orbit of a planet, but manual missile commands got around the front-end restriction, if memory serves (evil grin).
Willis wrote: Targeting System: loc command was a server registering value, therefor took one command queue, correct? Did missles and probes required an extra lock (and was it the same in starspace as it was in hyperspace), and how were they distinguished via the loc command?
I think the original MW3 didn't allow probes and missiles out at the same time - meaning a "-shipnumber" could mean it's either a probe or missile.. The GUI handled what was what and was able to show you, but I can't remember is there was a 'p' or another character that you needed to use: "eg: torp -p519670" .. that doesn't sound correct, though.
Willis wrote: What velocity did missiles and probes travel at in hyperspace?
I think the idea is they traveled about as fast a normal scout - which consensus has determined to be in the warp 12-14 range.
Willis wrote: Tra: Was the Tansfer factor based on percentage of ship capacity, or otherwise? IE: was a BS w/ 1000 figs and BC w/ 400 figs (and both ships having applicable troop levels) a Transfer factor of 2.0 or 1.4?
Good question. I'm not entirely sure how that worked. I would think a manual for the game would have the answer, but the text version manual I have for the pre-gamestorm version didn't have the TRANS command for attack controls.
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Tafoid wrote:I think you could send missiles when in normal space to other target also in normal space and it would follow them out to hyperspace. You could not fire from orbit. You were not supposed to be able to fire at people in orbit of a planet, but manual missile commands got around the front-end restriction, if memory serves (evil grin).
Yes, that is what I thought as well. You could definitely do missile combat in star space, I just couldn't quite remember if they could be launched from orbit or not, I was pretty sure they couldn't be. As for the missiling from hyper at a planet-orbiting ship, it was possible by design. There were two rings, 40ly and 60ly (I think those were the numbers) from your ship. 60ly was the reach of your torpedoes, 40ly was the limit you could see ships located within a star, and yes, they didn't show if they were in orbit, but the targeting system still knew what to do, it could even be done through the gui as well.
Tafoid wrote:I think the original MW3 didn't allow probes and missiles out at the same time - meaning a "-shipnumber" could mean it's either a probe or missile.. The GUI handled what was what and was able to show you, but I can't remember is there was a 'p' or another character that you needed to use: "eg: torp -p519670" .. that doesn't sound correct, though.
Yeah, I still can't remember how it did it, as I don't really recall manually targeting probes or missiles, just ships. Obviously the GUI just had an icon for which it was.
Tafoid wrote:I think the idea is they traveled about as fast a normal scout - which consensus has determined to be in the warp 12-14 range.
Scout ships were warp 15 in SE, and probes and missiles were certainly faster than scouts. I want to say missiles and probes went at warp 18, allowing them to still be out-run with the highest redline speeds of warp 20.
Tafoid wrote:Good question. I'm not entirely sure how that worked. I would think a manual for the game would have the answer, but the text version manual I have for the pre-gamestorm version didn't have the TRANS command for attack controls.
The help file included with 0.16 and 1.02 do not contain this information, they barely make reference to it beyond acknowledging that it improves chances. Pitchonomics quotes
TRA - The TRAnsfer Command: This command is unique to Stellar Emperor versions 2 onward. The TRA command was used in SE version 1 and is still in use in MegaWars3 to allow for the TRAnsferring of metal units between ships.

Current usage of this command allows a ship command the TRAnsfer command of their on-board fighters and troops to another ship, up to four ships transferring command to a single "command" ship. When the "command ship" ATTacks a target planet, all ships that have transferred command to it will also ATT the target planet. This command is very beneficial to the taking of planets and the results are roughly as follows:

Note - All attack figures below are based on the assumption that the attacking ships are Battleships, fully loaded with 1000 fighters and 10000 troops and assuming that the planet being attacked has a minimum of 10,000 guns defending it. Any ship (other than scouts and transports) can TRAnsfer command to another non scout or transport ship. The results received will be pro-rated down from the following figures. All figures are approximate and can vary + or - 10%.

1 Battle Ship 300 guns killed
TRA ships
2 Battleships 600 guns killed EACH - total 1260 guns killed
3 Battleships 900 guns killed EACH - total 2700 guns killed
4 Battleships 1200 guns killed EACH - total 4800 guns killed
5 Battleships 1500 guns killed EACH - total 7500 guns killed

1500 guns killed per ship seems to be the maximum it will allow. Never the less, it is quite easy to see how we were able to take the Imperial bases which are PM'd to have about 20,000 guns protecting them. Three, 5 Ship TRA's took each Imperial base.
I remembered the 300/600/900/1200/1500 (and obviously 1260 was a typo), but at this point, I'm pretty positive a scenario such as a BS with 1000 figs and a BC with 100 would result in a TRA factor of 1.25, the percentage of max where 1.0 is full capacity, added for each ship in the tra, capping at 5.0.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Tafoid
Cadet

Post by Tafoid »

I was looking though my super secret Dominion docs and came across a similar chart:
Here is a chart showing the effects of using the TRAnsfer command.

1 DD with 100 fighters will kill 33 guns
2 DD with 200 fighters will kill 132 guns
3 DD with 300 fighters will kill 297 guns
4 DD with 400 fighters will kill 480 guns
5 DD with 500 fighters will kill 750 guns
Same Idea.. where 5 fully loaded ships with the same attack amount would kill 1.5x their drop.
.33/.66/.99/1.2/1.5

Total Drop * multiplier = Total Guns Killed?
1000+400 = 1400 * .66 = 924 Total Gun Kills
the 1000 would kill 660, 400 would kill 264.
345420 MAV
Cadet

Post by 345420 MAV »

I remember getting hit with missiles in orbit then would pop out to attack whoever. Cruisers had the good lasers for planet attacks.