Just saying hey

Stellar Emperor Alpha testing. Builds may have a short period of working operation. Gameplay operations may change drastically from day to day. Feel free to join in the testing.
Starblazer

Just saying hey

Post by Starblazer »

I was looking at eve the other day and was comparing it to SE and it brought back memories and figured I would do a search and found you guys. I played megawars II and III back in the day. In fact I worked on the actual 36bit servers at compuserve that hosted them. Then joined the stellar emperor game at Newscorp, was surprised to see my old nemesis hetulik on these boards! I shot that guy every chance I got!
Good to see someone is working on bringing it too life again. I imagine its a chore. Im not a coder but will offer my help or input if needed.

Jay
Lakeland Fl.
Starblazer

Re: Just saying hey

Post by Starblazer »

come to think of it I used a couple of monikers when i played, to keep the enemy guessing, other handle was Warhorse. Will server be up for trying out? wanna see if my fingers can still quick fire those tor and miss commands :lol: yo botanybay and thor!
Hetulik
Cadet

Post by Hetulik »

Warhorse!
It has been so long, i remember you very well. I miss those days back in the open beta --- 1997 / 1998 i think. We met in my very early days of my playing the game. We were on some team called Killers Inc back in war 3a led by some guy named Ironwolf who i don't remember. Then in war 4 you started the team Eagle Squadron ES. I remember many hours spent flying around and shooting people alongside you. Then you had supposedly started a new job and didn't have as much time to spend in the game. I led the Eagle Squadron team in War 5. In the days after you left, if i ever led a team i called it Eagle Squadron -- after the game went pay for play i brought the team back yet again for an amazing war where we came from behind and won in the end fighting some of the top players/teams in the galaxy.

You said you shot me every chance you got?? Did you later play under some alternate names in the game? I tend to remember us being on the same team most of the time, but it's been awhile ago so my memory could be hazy. But i do remember in those very early days of the game back when i started around war 3, you were one of those folks i enjoyed playing alongside the most. We were forever online causing destruction to those around us in ship to ship combat! (and dying ourselves quite a bit too)

You play EVE? I did for a couple years but can't devote the time to it so have quit. It's an amazing feeling being part of a bigger team and those larger battles and how some sort of voice communications are necessary to coordinate the hundreds of ships. Still i have the fondest memories for the days of SE, much more my pace.

Very glad you tracked us down. You will be extremely impressed when you see what Caleb/Willis has recreated (without having the original source code). He's a perfectionist and has been working hard to get the details just right, down to the old equasions they used. It is quite a blast from the past when you start flying around in your little yellow scout.

Hope you're doing well.
Het
Starblazer

Post by Starblazer »

Wow Het my memory circuits musta got crossed! I took you for someone else, but I knew I remembered that name!. Dood you got some memory! Yes eagle squadron, we were some scrappy folks. Cool to hear you you took the reigns and led the team to domination!.
Many hours of play, and yes I remember you being new, we were always wing manning each other. What great times. And the battles were a blast!
Actually I just checked out Eve for trial and realized like you it was too time intensive. And perhaps the learning curve was a bit to much for me too. Just didnt have the patience for it.
I remember the days of Kesmai when they closed down, I was playing SE and air warrior and I kept thinking what about the source code! Can someone get it? gimme!
From what I've read Willis is getting with the program, I look forward to trying it out. Never know as addictive as this game was or is, maybe it could be a success again.
Im doing well and hope your doing ok to old friend.
Warhorse.
Hetulik
Cadet

Post by Hetulik »

I have to admit all that isn't from memory, for some of that i had to briefly consult some of the old text files i'd saved from the game. Over the next year of two since we flew together i became a very serious SE player - loved the game, and the time cooincided with my first years at college and higher speed internet. Interestingly enough i particularly enjoying the PMing aspect and became less of a fighter than in my earlier days.

I can speak for the SE source code, and folks tried to obtain it (Crimson i believe) but didn't have any luck. I share your hope that SE can be successful again, since it closed down i've never found a game that i enjoyed quite as much as SE.

It's nice you posted and glad you're doing well, i always wondered what happened to you.

Het
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Greetings Warhorse,

I don't recall ever fighting with or against you, as my entry appears to have occurred near your departure. I started shortly after Hetulik around War 4 of OBT in fall of '97 on Aries Games under the handle Caleb, and followed into closed beta testing, and eventually on and off on Gamestorm until the close. I do recall your name from score files and player word of mouth.

I leave up a number of artifacts of history at http://archives.stellaremperor.com/files/ if you're looking for nostalgia, and if you have anything to add I'd me more than happy to add it.

As for source code, Electronic Arts owns the source code to both Stellar Emperor and Mega Wars III, but has no entitlement to the Mega Wars III name (it is believed that resided with Compuserve). There were attempts to purchase the source code when EA acquired Kesmai around 2000, however, nothing came to fruition (there is a link to the forum in the links section at the top of this forum for more nostalgia). There was a project started at the same time called MW3+SE, later renamed SEMW3 that started a from-scratch remake, however, it never really made it out of the alpha phase despite some decent efforts. In the last 4 years, there have been two projects that have re-attempted revival. A MW3 clone has been up and running on megawarsiii.com for a couple years now, though the player base is pretty sparse. The other is my current continuation of the SEMW3 project, a Stellar Emperor (a la Kesmai/AriesGames/GameStorm) clone, which I have made great progress on, but struggle to find the motivation and resources (knowledge) to get out of the last couple little ruts to release something at least in the playable form.

As of right now, my current status is that I randomly run Alpha PM wars which help facilitate my UI testing, but nothing has really been publicly advertised, as there is currently no player base due to the competition parts (aside from raw planetary management) being incomplete. My goal was to have something released in a state between alpha and beta quality by the month of December, but that goal can no longer be hit, and I am moving back to a generalized Q1 2012 for now. I try to keep my development wiki (also at the top of the forum under links) relatively up-to-date, despite being quite sparse for data (requires a registered account to edit pages).

I may throw up another test universe soon if I make enough progress to warrant doing such, or if it's actually requested and anybody actually wants to test anything.
--Cossid AKA Caleb