In the beginning...

Stellar Emperor Alpha testing. Builds may have a short period of working operation. Gameplay operations may change drastically from day to day. Feel free to join in the testing.
Cossid
Site Admin

In the beginning...

Post by Cossid »

This is just a post to fill you guys in on some back-information and an update of where things are at right now.

Right now what I have for the starting base is a couple of the application projects (Galactic Manager [galaxy creation], Planet Updater, pmTester [front end for testing how changes will effect long term], and the SEMW3 planetary pm website). What I don't have are bits and pieces to all of those, most importantly, the DataAccess module, which acts as the link between everything and the SQL server database that the game will run on.

I'd like to thank Kon for digging all of that out for me, and for putting up with me pestering him for a great deal of time to pull this information out for us.

That being said, everything is currently being built on VB.NET (2.0) with VS2005 (VB isn't really my strong point, but it has served as a good base so far). I'm currently using that platform to rebuild the missing parts. I'm currently Reversing all the DataAccess calls, which is the core part of the work for now, once DataAccess is back online I'll be doing some performance analysis and deciding what route I would like to go from there, as there are really many ways to build this base from a performance standpoint.

For anybody considering lending a hand in the actual development, unfortunately I need a bit of time to analyze what we have, so please give me until around May 10th to decide where the next step will be.

More information to come, this was just a little fill-in update since nobody really could have known what has been going on up until now.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
sross
Cadet

Re: In the beginning...

Post by sross »

Visual Basic! Uglyyy.
Looking forward to seeing some code and architecture

Depending on where you are taking this caleb, it might be worth while to think of some free alternative solutions inlcuding PostGreSQL, ruby for front end (or python) -- anywhos talk sounds good and I won't pester until May 10th:)
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

VB.NET certainly isn't my first choice either, trust me :) It is what Kon and Crimson had based everything on in the past, and its the first readily available code I have, even if missing pieces.

And I personally wouldn't even consider python for a front-end. While nice and portable, the performance is horrid. I'd rather have a good API in place for native front-ends than have to suffer though python. I really don't have any direct experience with Ruby, but it does interest me.

From a server-side perspective, ideally I'd like it to be MySQL/PHP(maybe finally venture into RoR) myself... Right now VB.NET means I'll have to find a way to host this (I've got some prospects lined up)... The first few months may entail hosting straight from my home connection as Kon did because I have a feeling it's going to take a pretty strong machine by the sounds of the way it previously ran, which is why I'm just first trying to get it to run, and then I'll decide from there what I'm going to stick with.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
sross
Cadet

Post by sross »

Willis wrote:VB.NET certainly isn't my first choice either, trust me :) It is what Kon and Crimson had based everything on in the past, and its the first readily available code I have, even if missing pieces.

And I personally wouldn't even consider python for a front-end. While nice and portable, the performance is horrid. I'd rather have a good API in place for native front-ends than have to suffer though python. I really don't have any direct experience with Ruby, but it does interest me.

From a server-side perspective, ideally I'd like it to be MySQL/PHP(maybe finally venture into RoR) myself... Right now VB.NET means I'll have to find a way to host this (I've got some prospects lined up)... The first few months may entail hosting straight from my home connection as Kon did because I have a feeling it's going to take a pretty strong machine by the sounds of the way it previously ran, which is why I'm just first trying to get it to run, and then I'll decide from there what I'm going to stick with.
What, you don't want to go down the road Chandler went down?? 8-)

Seems like you you have a good grip on everything. I am always willing to participate coding wise and have tons of stuff available to me via work. Let me know what you need and when, if we need more volunteers as developers I can help there also.

Later boss,
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

I should also mention that aside from going with VB.NET because that's what it was started with, I plan to at least give it a try in hopes that Kon and company may be interested doing work in the future, whether it be for the clone or an expanded game, and keeping with their methods could keep some good possibilities open.

May 10th was mostly just a random date I chose, not real rhyme or reason, but I figure it gives some sort of deadline one way or another to keep me focused on getting something done.

Sadly we have no records of the discussions from previous SEMW3 forums, and not even complete code from the last SEMW3 implementation, which is why I'm working on filling the latter back in and seeing what we have to work with from there.

In the mean time, I've been running theories through my head on the best way to spearhead planetary update vs performance, and once I have working code to test, we can start discussing the direction we should be moving.

My tentative goal is something along the lines of:
May 10th - Have the last version of SEMW3 code base repaired to a compiling/benchmarking state
End of June - Begin online PM testing, gather feedback for accuracy.
End of August - Have a basic back-end communications module and very basic front end together (basic movement, no combat).

As stated, these are all tentative, and this is for me a side project away from my two jobs (don't ask) so I'm trying to set somewhat realistic goals. In all honesty, I'm more focused on getting the PM model going strong, as I don't foresee the combat and front end being overly difficult, things are a little more cut-and-dry in that perspective.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Ok, I apologize, but I'm already behind schedule because I didn't even have two hours in the last week and a half to work on anything because of various events that hit an unfortunate string, but my free time should mostly be opened up now outside of work, so I'm going to have to extend my original date to sometime around the 18th, a week from now... Sorry for the delays, I promise it's not a sign of things to come.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
setalon
Cadet

Post by setalon »

DOn;t worry about it:)
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Unfortunately I don't have anything to SHOW quite just yet, but I am slowly putting in time where I can find it. I'm getting pretty close to seeing if what I currently have is what I want to continue working with... If the current .NET code is to continue on, my plan/hope is still to have something going by the end of June.

That being said, I have built a SQL server, but am currently waiting on a couple small cooling parts, and then am debating which route I want to go for hosting (in-home [for beginning dev work], at work, or co-locate).

My current plan, which is subject to change is:
SQL server - standalone server just for SQL and data storage.
Web server - interface with SQL, but handle all network load seperately.

If things become network intensive after a FE is up, I'll likely add a 3rd to the cluster dedicated to client server.
--Cossid AKA Caleb
setalon
Cadet

Post by setalon »

cool:)
thirdday

Post by thirdday »

I see the last update here was at the end of may. I was just wondering on how things are going? :)
monty
Cadet

Post by monty »

thirdday wrote:I see the last update here was at the end of may. I was just wondering on how things are going? :)
Cheops' Law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.

http://haacked.com/archive/2007/07/17/t ... pment.aspx
sross
Cadet

Post by sross »

monty, you remember the development work you went though with crimson to get this off the ground originally? do you have any of those old archives, ie discussion points?
monty
Cadet

Post by monty »

Yes, I remember the work I did with Crimson.

I don't remember any particular discussion points, other than what's posted at http://forums.delphiforums.com/mw3se/messages in the "Revival Progress" topic.
sross
Cadet

Post by sross »

monty wrote:Yes, I remember the work I did with Crimson.

I don't remember any particular discussion points, other than what's posted at http://forums.delphiforums.com/mw3se/messages in the "Revival Progress" topic.
Those were the discussions I was looking for .. I lost the links to delphi forums long long time ago.

Anyway, Caleb, the man of the hour, lets start planning this or if possible let us see some of the code to get us going a bit. Since summer is winding down, I have some free time to put toward development.
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

Sorry guys, I did have to put this on the back-burner, and while doing so, I have done a lot of thinking about what I want to do, though I really feel I should run some of this by Kon first.

As of right now, I think I'm going to ditch VB completely, at least for the first clone attempt. The past SEMW3 code is aimed more at becoming a much expanded game, and I don't think that is going to fly well for just getting off the ground. I don't see having starting with a flat clone, and then starting over for an improved game a bad idea at this point.

I'm going to be restarting with just simple PHP & MySQL for PMing with numbers based off what was in the previous project, though I'm going to first try real-time calculations as opposed to the repeated updates attempted in the past, for various reasons.

My heavy work load has mostly passed, and my planned annual vacation has now passed as well, and I'm ready to start the project off the way I feel more comfortable for the time being.
--Cossid AKA Caleb