Project Update - March 2012

Stellar Emperor Alpha testing. Builds may have a short period of working operation. Gameplay operations may change drastically from day to day. Feel free to join in the testing.
Cossid
Site Admin

Project Update - March 2012

Post by Cossid »

Greetings pilots!

This update for March brings good news! I now consider the game to be core-feature complete for an alpha phase. However, there were some reason major changes that need testing, and stability is not guaranteed, but there is now a test war up and running which will run through Thursday April 12th. This places it at just under 3 weeks, and is running at 400x speed (as opposed to 200x of a regular 4 week war). It is designated as a Test galaxy, so players are given free resources by using the FRE command, which works exactly the same as DRY, except you can use it anywhere.

I am not currently marketing this at all, it is really only targeted at former SE players, and is certainly still considered to be unstable.

Some notes about the current state:
  • Planet burning isn't really fully implemented, if you pm too tight, it could crash and burn really fast.
  • Combat values are complete guesses at this point. They feel pretty decent, but feedback is welcome.
  • Troop strafing is more direct that it was in SE, meaning the troops you kill will mostly be proportionate to the number of figs you are attacking with. There is still some randomness to it, but it is not quite like SE was, but there is little else I could do with the data available to me.
  • Sounds are very cheesy, just placeholders where something was critical
  • Most ships are currently just colored triangles, graphics improvements will come later.
So without further ado, I welcome you to join up and start testing. If you have previously created an account, it is still active, if not, you may register at http://alpha.stellaremperor.com

To start flying you can download the latest alpha client at http://www.stellaremperor.com/alpha/Ste ... _0.6.0.zip , unzip it, and launch the executable. Also feel free to inform any alumni!

If testing goes will, I will likely start regular (stable-ish) wars in mid-late April.

Enjoy, and I hope to see you in space!
--Willis AKA Caleb
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Apocalypse
Cadet

Re: Project Update - March 2012

Post by Apocalypse »

Colonized my first two planets! Thanks for getting this up, I'll try and find the rest of my planets soon. Time to form an alliance! Anybody else out there colonizing?

And how do you want us to report bugs or strange things that we find? For instance, I noticed the planetary management menu is a little bit temperamental when plugging in values. (Also, any recommendations on how to build up my planets?)
Cossid
Site Admin

Post by Cossid »

There have only been a few players to check in so far, but give it time and there will be more. You're welcome to start an alliance if you wish, but I don't think there will be much serious team interest in the first round of testing.

As for bug reports, feel free to start a new thread in the Alpha Testing forum section for each bug found, as that way I can address each one individually.

Could you expand on temperamental?
--Cossid AKA Caleb
Apocalypse
Cadet

Post by Apocalypse »

Well changing values sometimes doesn't work - I have to plug in the numbers a couple of times - ie, if i'm changing 10% it takes a few attempts to load. It works but it sometimes takes a few times to get the numbers to "stick" in the fields..
Ramulack405

Post by Ramulack405 »

I followed your project a few years ago but lost sight, then saw the email that was sent out by chance and now I am back here!

Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart in making this! I am on now re-living my past playing something I thought I would never again have the chance to enjoy!